Sunday, December 4, 2011

GHQ Terrain Maker: What is to be done?

















Those following the Blog are aware that I have been experimenting on and off with GHQ terrain maker product. I am good with Google and consequently have probably found all positive and negative reviews and comments about this stuff on the web. Some people do really amazing work with this stuff as evident by the picture above of someone else work I found online (sorry about not giving credit not sure where I found it saved to my PC years ago). The biggest criticism I have encountered is that the hexes do not fit together well.



In the last few weeks I put together some extra plain hexes I had laying around and finally decided to take a real look at my terrain maker stuff. I was hoping to make some real final decisions; do I invest in more of this stuff? Should I put the blank hexes and finished hexes away in long term storage? Is this a real terrain option?



As you can tell from the hexes I did above my stuff looks fair at best. I highlighted the big problem areas and you can really see some of the hexes just do not fit together well. That being said I just can not bring myself to abandon this stuff.



I do have several terrain sheets made from old blankets. I also have a terrain mats sheet (can be seen in my 15mm SCW photos). And there is also the great looking stuff from TerraScapes problem is this stuff seems to have shot up in price!!!!. I also do not want to use above ground roads and rivers. Terrain mats has no rivers or roads on the sheets themselves and TerraScapes have great rivers but no roads built into the boards and $100 for a river board now!!!. So far looks like no real option yet. I may end up trying to paint some roads on my terrain guy mat as an alternative. I have seen the new old glory mats and they look interesting I may think about them as an option.

No comments: